When looking at assistive technology it is important that I give students technologies that are legally allowed to them. After reading about assistive technology law I see how the main responsibility falls on the IEP team in order to determine what technologies students need in order to be independent and successful. This can be a tough call for the team especially with tight budget cuts in past years. On The Family Center on Technology and Disability, I was able to find a lot of information on assistive technology. This website http://www.pacer.org/stc/ gives a lot of information on how to use assistive technology. When looking at the next steps, it is crucial that teachers provide the technologies mandated to students. However, once this is enacted it is important that teachers know how to use the assistive technology.
Through the readings this week the information I found the most useful was the following.
Assistive Technology Act
Public Law 105-394 [29 USC 2201]
The Assistive Technology Act is intended to improve the provision of assistive technology to individuals with disabilities through comprehensive statewide programs of technology-related assistance.
The statewide activities include:
- State finance systems - activities to increase access to, and funding for, assistive technology devices and services, including development of systems to provide and pay for such devices and services.
- Device reutilization programs - activities that provide for the exchange, repair, recycling, or other reutilization of assistive technology devices, which may include redistribution through device sales, loans, rentals, or donations.
- Device loan programs - activities that provide short-term loans of assistive technology devices to individuals, employers, public agencies, or others seeking to meet the needs of people with disabilities.
- Device demonstration programs - activities that demonstrate a variety of assistive technology devices and provide assistive technology services.
With budget cuts a huge problem within districts I often wonder if students aren't always receiving the assistive technology they deserve because of cuts. I found it very insightful that there was information about obtaining devices. That includes rentals and donations.
Rebeccah,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comments. You bring up a very unfortunately point about this process when you say that it is important to fight for what is legally yours. A lot of time and effort is often wasted in this process and the student suffers while the battle goes on.