Sunday, March 22, 2015

Technology and Emotional Behavioral Disorders

This weeks reading focused on technology and Emotional Behavioral Disorders. I have seen many of the emotional behavioral traits within the classroom I am currently working. One very important component that I have experience with is speech to text word processors. Throughout this week, I have been working on getting a program like this for one of my students to use. I have seen the amazing impact that it can have on students through my own sister. One difficulty she was faced with was typing and writing. Using the speech word processor she was able to say what she wanted to type and the program would type it for her. The program my sister uses is called Dragonfly. She talks into a headset and it types out into her word processor. She also uses the speech to text option on her phone when she is texting.

With my own student I have noticed many behaviors he shows when he is faced with a task that requires a lot of writing. He begins to disrupt other students by making silly comments, getting upset, walking out of the classroom or refusing to do his work. I have found that when he is able to use the computer to complete his work it is a lot easier for him. We are currently working on graphic organizers to help him through the lesson. Recently when I look at UDL for my lessons each week, I look to see what I can modify to help this student that way his disruptive behavior doesn't continue. When looking at the module for the week, I pull out all of the organizers and worksheets that we will be using and modify them. I create scaffolded worksheets where he only has to fill in a few words. When faced with work that requires a lot of writing my student shuts down and refuses to work. By creating sheets with a few fill in the blanks I am able to keep him engaged and willing to work. Also, once he has completed an organizer for an essay I allow him to type the essay for his final. He tries his best to write neat on his organizer so he can read it to make his final copy. Being able to plan ahead of time to avoid his refusal to work allows for him to have success.

One challenge I am constantly faced with is still explaining fair does not mean equal. I often have other students that get upset if a student is getting services that they are not. I try my best to remind them that everyone needs different things in order to be successful. It is my job to provide those tools for all students that need them. Any advice on how to continue help my students understand this is greatly appreciated. Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Rebeccah,
    The whole concept of fair does not mean equal is a difficult for students to understand. Developmentally, they might not be at that point where they can understand, which makes the process more difficult. Hopefully with time and exposure they will not only accept but understand the concept of fair and equal. There are some activities you can find on the internet. I found this activity http://teach-from-the-heart.blogspot.com/2012/03/flashback-to-third-is-this-fair.html. However, that might take too much instructional time.

    ReplyDelete