Sunday, February 1, 2015

Technology and Autism

I have always been interested in the use of technology in students with learning disabilities. It is absolutely amazing how much technology can help these students. This week’s focus was on the use of technology with students that have Autism.  One major thing I took away from this week’s readings was the power of giving students with no voice a way to communicate.

I watched the Webinar that focused on PECS. It was very interesting to watch the beginning uses of PEC’s. For example, they showed a video of a young child who was just learning to use PECS. The child wanted to listen to music, which was her preferred activity, in order to get that she had to take the card that said music and put it in the hand of the adult. There were two adults working with her and she did not get her preferred activity until she gave the card to the adult. It was amazing to see how quickly she was able to learn what she needed to do in order to listen to music. I have never used PECS I have only used them images as a schedule tool. When looking at what I my students to complete at the end of the lesson I make sure to incorporate some type of preferred activity at the end.


When looking at UDL and technology with children who have Autism is the importance of making sure students have the tools they need to be successful. I observed in a life skills classroom and the teaching staff needed to always make sure that their students had the right phrases and words they may need to communicate clearly. If they didn’t have the correct pictures it often made it difficult for the students to express their wants and needs.  With technology growing students can continue to use these tools when they are at home. Often it is hard for students to communicate effectively at home. Being able to use information on smartphones is now opening up a new world.

3 comments:

  1. Rebeccah- There are a couple of statements you said that I couldn't agree more on.

    1) Use of rewards as an incentive to push through difficult material. We have seen this idea in our psychology books in college about how we learn the correct behavior. Once students begin to see the rewards they understand what they are doing is considered acceptable.

    2) Using the right tools to help a student be successful. As teachers we are given typically too many tools to help a student succeed. It is important that we learn what helps our individual student and adjust based off of their needs.

    3) Modeling similar behavior at home. This is huge! If a student can transition from school to home and have the same expectations then everyone is better off. Technology has allowed this transition to happen as well because tools are more accessible.

    4) Smart phones are changing the world!! Just today a student was showing me a graphing calculator application that was exactly like the TI Nspire we use. I wonder if every thing will be accessible through the phone. This is also usually a cheaper option than having multiple technologies too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say you really hit the nail on the head when you said teachers are often given too many tools. I often find myself buried in tools that I could use but often find it difficult to chose which one. I need to remind myself to look at easy options that can help students. For example I have been having behavior management issues with a few of my students. I have felt like I was out of options in controlling their behavior. Then I remembered I could make a quick point system using an excel sheet to promote their positive behavior. Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree that technology has been a saving grace for many students with disabilities and I can only see it continuing to benefit students in the future. I was really interested in the comment you made about how students can continue to use these types of tools at home. I think that is a huge part of technology in education, the freedom to have access to learning at any moment and from anywhere. It is significantly important for students with disabilities because those disabilities do not disappear when they walk out of the classroom.

    ReplyDelete