After visiting the websites for this week it absolutely
amazes me the impact technology can have from people with communications
impairments. Through my studies this far
in the Educational Technology Specialist program I have been able to learn a
lot of new technologies. However, the technologies that are able to allow
people to do things they have never before truly inspire me. Even if these technologies can’t allow people
with hearing loss to hear again it provides them the opportunity to live a
mostly normal life.
Reading the article, Assistive
Devises for People with Hearing, Voice, Speech, or Language Disorders, I
was able to learn that there are three types of assistive devices. Theses
consist of; Assistive listening devices, augmentative and alternative
communication devices, and alerting devices. All of these devices provide
alternatives to help people with hearing and other disorders. Although I have
no experience working with any of these systems I can see the impact they might
have in the classroom. However, I can also see how the classroom may be a
difficult place to use these devices to the fullest capabilities. For example,
the article Hearing Assistive Technology,
talked about the challenges that one may face using these devices. Using UDL,
as a teacher it is important that I do my best to plan ahead. This would mean
doing everything I can do to limit any of the complications that may arise
using the devices. I would make sure that the distance between me and the
learner using these devices would be minimal. By placing that student near me
during lessons so they can always hear me. However, one issue that these devices may have
is competing noise within the environment. This is one thing I can do is make
sure competing noises are limited. However, I have no control of computers
humming and the unexpected overhead announcements.
Overall, this week has opened my eyes to even more
technology that can be used to help students with communication impairments. I
am continuing to learn that technology is more than using the Smart board in
your classroom or using iPads during reading centers. There are many other
technologies that are allowing students to communicate when they weren't able
to before.
ReplyDeleteI found it interesting how you mentioned the surrounding noises that are all around us during the school day that we have no control over. I had not considered this when thinking about using assistive technology. The student may be able to hear us in a normal learning environment but not through all the noises of the school and environment. It is important to adapt the classroom to the use of the assistive technology to ensure that the technology works most effectively. By planning ahead and making sure the student is closer to the teacher then these surrounding noises may not be a huge issue. Assistive technology is such a great supplement to student learning and it gives students with hearing impairments a chance to feel comfortable when learning and communicating.
Rebeccah,
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you learned so much this week. It is truly amazing to see a student use a Dynavox to communicate. I am also glad what you took away from the article. These technologies are great but there are still some difficulties when implementing them in the classroom. I hope you learn more in this course.